Simplicity 1692 – 1940s Top

After reading many (many) blogs, and viewing many (many) pretty items from people, I think I’ve realised straight away I should start by sewing things I’m actually going to wear, or at least have the possibility of wearing, before getting stuck in with the frivolous making.  Yes, I’d love to simply own 20,000 pretty dresses, but in reality I’m not going to get around to wearing most of them, my daily wear is usually trousers and either a shirt or top, and to top it off as a personal incentive to get into sewing I have only bought four items of clothing in the last year.  I’m getting to the point where I actually need some things, so I’d better get cracking with it.

I do want tops with a bit of personality, so I’ve started with a pattern I love the look of – Simplicity 1692.

simplicity 1692 2

I’m usually a UK size 8 in t-shirts, and for Simplicity patterns I discovered a size 12 on top fits me okay, with a little alteration to the shoulders (I’ve had to drastically take in any dress I’ve made so far to accommodate my child shoulders).  This pattern was much easier to fit due to the button fastening and slight opening at the back of the neck.  My first attempt is in a blue polka dot poly-cotton which I thought I’d try as a toile with the possible luck it would become the final item.  I was in luck, with the added bonus the material wasn’t quite as see through with as most of the poly-cottons I practise with.

simplicity 1692

The only part of this version that I’m not entirely sure about is the puffy back part.  I can’t tell if it looks okay.

 

simplicity 1692 3 Fabric from Leons in Chorlton – possibly the most wonderful shop I’ve ever stepped foot in, and only discovered for the first time the day before making this top.DSC_1366

 

Changes / Difficulties:

In both versions I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how to turn the fabric for the bows inside out.  It just wasn’t happening so I ended up missing them off all together.

In the first version I added an invisible zipper, but found that the top could easily be worm without one, so for the second make I basted, tried on, then decided just to sew straight up.  Why bother making life harder?

The sleeves on the first version we just a little too puffy for my liking, which make stop me from actually wearing the top, so for the second make I cut the curved section of the sleeves a cm smaller.

The neck and sleeve bands are the same principle as the kimono front band I previously attempted.  The poly-cotton version of this top I just couldn’t seem to get the machine stitching neat enough and ended up hand sewing it, but on the second version I think I’d more or less sussed it, realising that the advantage this make had over the kimono is that the inner seam will never be seen so as long as the outside looked neat I was sorted.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s